Sunday, September 14, 2008

Charlotte's Hog Jog- My First 5K!



Like many cities, Charlotte has a variety of activities for athletes, fitness gurus, or those just interested in a different sense of success. From 5Ks to Triathalons and from racing for fun to racing for cures Charlotte hosts many opportunities.

I found a brochure at the YMCA and my beloved Smoothie King promoting a 5K race titled the Hog Jog. I have never been a part of an organized race, and I don't classify myself as a runner, but there is just something appealing about saying you've done it... and a new pair of yellow running shoes doesn't help either! ha.

I made my younger sister sign up, as well. Saturday morning at 5:45 am my alarm clock blares and I wanted to roll over and pretend I never heard it. BUT after getting up before the sun, heading downtown, and rolling into registration with the fog, I was excited. I felt a little unprepared and a little anxious, but we found the start line, shuffled back a litte, and at 8am we were off!

It was hard, but as the fog lifted and the sun rose over the skyscrappers and trees, it was liberating. It's amazing how I've lived here since the 2nd grade and I've never seen the city in the way I've seen it before. I felt like this was my city and I was getting to know it, personally.

Getting to the finish line was a feat, but seeing people at the end cheering felt like support and drinking that 1st cup of ice cold water tasted like success.

After, they had many vendors, free massages, free fruit and sandwiches, and a concert. I would recommend it to anyone! You can see a list of upcoming races and events at Running Planner and Sport Often.

No comments: